Wednesday, August 10, 2011


Today, at 14 weeks and 4 days, I found out what gender the baby is. I also found out that if I'm going to get a preventative cerclage, I need to have it done within a week.

This is tough because there is a risk, small though it may be, of losing the pregnancy with this procedure. We don't know if losing Becca was because my cervix gave out, because I had a hole/small tear in the amniotic sac that led to preterm labor, or for some other cause.

We could always take the wait and see approach, which would be excellent if it turns out I don't have an incompetent cervix and I could just breeze through the rest of this pregnancy.
However, if I actually do have a cervical competency issue, by the time it became a problem (4 to 6 weeks from now when the baby's weight puts pressure on the cervix), I could dilate too quickly and lose the baby before we could do anything about it.

Looks like I may be having outpatient surgery next week.

I'm terrified, really, but I'm just praying that God has this under control and I pray that we are doing the right thing.


  1. now that's just cruel! say you know the gender but then didn't tell us:-) lol. well, i will be praying everything goes smoothly with the surgery!! HUGS

  2. hahaha! Sorry, I'm giving it a few days to let it all soak in! :)
    Tuesday can't get here soon enough...I'm ready to get this over with and put behind me.
    Thanks girl. *hugs*